Welcome to Novelspeak...



Tuesday, June 14, 2016

I Believe Every Child can be a Reader

I'm three courses into my master's degree in literacy and teacher-librarianship. I wanted to share my latest assignment, modeled after the This I Believe project.

I hope you enjoy it!

As long as I can remember, I’ve always been a lover of the written word.  As a kid I read anything I could get my hands on. I devoured books by Montgomery, Lewis, and Tolkien, as well as series like Nancy Drew, The Babysitter’s Club, even Sweet Valley High. I haunted the school library, bonding over books with my elementary school librarian. I racked up late fines at the public library.  I got in trouble at school for reading ahead during novel studies, or secretly reading in my desk when I was supposed to be listening. I read The Princess Bride out loud to anyone who would listen.  I missed my bus stop countless times, neglected my homework, read and re-read and re-read again. Books were an adventure, an escape, as well as a place of belonging. They still are.

I wasn’t born a reader. My grandmother, my mother, my older sister, a few teachers, and one very special teacher-librarian all helped to make me the book lover that I am today. Today when I look at my bookshelves, I see books that represent the people who instilled that love of literature in me.

Hardcover copies of The Secret Garden and Jane Eyre, given to me by my grandmother, sit on my shelf, next to my mother’s childhood Anne of Green Gables novels. I have a battered copy of The Witch of Blackbird Pond in my classroom library.  I borrowed it from my junior high language arts teacher and forgot to give it back. Somehow I think she would forgive me if she knew. I also have a book of fairy tales that Mrs. Austin gave me in grade two. She was a wonderful teacher-librarian who took an interest in me. She made the school library feel like home.

Most special of all, I have my sister’s worn and well-read Lucy Maud Montgomery collection. My grandmother gave them to her, one book at a time each Christmas and birthday. I remember borrowing them without permission, hoarding them in my room until she came looking for them. After my sister passed away a few years ago, I inherited them.  Every time I look at them, I think of my sister, a woman who, among other things, was a passionate reader.

Today, I try to instill a love of literature in my students. I love to talk about books, to bond over bookshelves, to tell them about books that touched me, spoke to me, or transformed me. I love to tell them about books that made me laugh or cry, and the very special books that have burrowed into my heart.

I believe that something magical happens when you share a love of reading with kids. Books fly off the shelves. Students who are labeled as non-readers become readers. Kids beg for more reading time.  They wait with bated breath for the next installment of the read aloud. They talk excitedly about the book they are reading, recommending books to their friends, even forming impromptu book clubs. Reading skills improve, often dramatically. Sometimes it just takes one perfect book, and they are hooked. I believe that every child can become a reader.

To become readers, kids need to be surrounded by books. They need school libraries and public libraries, as well as classroom libraries full of books that come in all shapes and sizes. Not only certain books. Not only award winners or literary classics. Not only “real” books pushed by the well-meaning adults in their lives. Just books. They need silly books, books about farts, boogers, and superheroes in underwear. They need books about cupcakes, bullies, and fights with BFFs. They need comics and graphic novels, magazines and e-books. Most of all, most important of all, they need books they can see themselves in, books that truly become a part of them. They also need books that provide glimpses of worlds they otherwise could never see. They need books that transform them, that become a part of them.


I believe just one book, one conversation, and one adult can transform a child into a reader. I believe that instilling a love of reading can truly make a difference, sparking imaginations, opening doors, and unlocking potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment